Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Xocomil: The Water Park

Honestly, I didn't think that an attraction like this could be of interest but to my surprise, I was wrong. Since the website I used as reference is in Spanish, a couple of our travel companions asked for details and I just can't say no. All the images I am posting today are from the IRTRA Website and I hope that they won't mind because I didn't have enough time to request them their authorization.
The park Xocomil takes its name from the Tz'utujil and K'aqchikel voice that translates as "strong wind blowing over the water", actually a phenomenon observed every day around 5 p.m. in the Lake Atitlan.
Xocomil is not only the biggest water-park of Guatemala, it’s also the most visited and complete. Designed around a Mayan pyramid, this fantastic 77,300 square meters amusement park features a full day of fun for the entire family.
The park features four different pools, two of them with waves, one for children and one for adults; one flowing river that provides a fun way to get around the park floating on a tube while passing through gigantic replicas of Mayan masks with waterfalls, water cannons, and a replica of a Mayan tomb.
Xocomil also includes seven options of water rides, which will thrill you to the core. From high speed slides in a 148 meters ride, five-people tubes riding through a series of curves and steep drops, floating rides through a dark tunnel that propels riders into a big funnel, to exhilarating vertical high speed rides, this park certainly has everything anyone can expect in a world-class water park.
So much fun couldn't be complete without something to eat, right? Well, while enjoying at the park, you will find at least six different snack bars and several ice cream stands, and in case you forgot your sun blocker lotion or need a swimming suit, don't worry, there are three shops inside the park where you can find almost everything you need, from disposable cameras to souvenirs.
The park opens regularly from Thursday to Sunday, from 9 am to 5 pm, and during certain holidays opens daily. The entrance fee for visitors with a valid IRTRA ID and up to 5 guests, is free of charge. For the rest of visitors, the entrance fees are (as of today's US currency exchange rate):  Adults, $12; Kids (up to 1.20m height), $6; Seniors (older than 60), $6. Isn't it great? I think it is, I am truly proud of this genuine Guatemalan accomplishment, as encourages me to think that projects like this somehow contributes to clear the misconception that some people may have about my motherland.

1 comment:

  1. Wow that was strange. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but after I clicked
    submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again.
    Anyhow, just wanted to say fantastic blog!
    Also see my site :: gazebo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate your feedback!

Bookmark and Share